4.12.16

i'm feeling 22



Sadly, these aren't my balloons.

This isn't the obligatory X-amount-of-things-I've-learned-by-X-age post because I couldn't think of 22 things. Instead, I will talk you through just a few important life lessons learnt.
if u were a gifted/talented child who grew into an anxious adult w fragile self worth and a perfectionist streak that makes u abandon things if ur not good at them immediately clap ur hands
I saw this on Tumblr and laughed out loud but then kind cried a little inside. Never have I read something that describes me so perfectly. The bane of my life is my inability to get shit done. As you can imagine, it's a daily struggle. The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. At 22, I have finally accepted that I have some issues that I need to work out. I have also learnt that is okay to ask for help and if you need help, you should definitely always ask.

On a somewhat related note, I have learnt to seek medical attention when required and in my case, where mental health matters are concerned. Since the age of about 16, I have lived with depression. However, it was only last month that I made the decision to be treated which came in the form of SSRIs. I have also begun practicing the art of self-care. You can expect a post featuring my step-by-step self-care routine at some point this Blogmas.

As a child of a single mother, I've always had a I'm a strong, independent woman that don't need no man sort of attitude. Whilst I remain firm in the belief that I do not need to be in a relationship to lead a fulfilled life, I have come to the realisation that being in a relationship doesn't make me any less strong or any less independent. I can say that confidently after 1 happy year with my current partner. Don't get me wrong though, I equally loved being single. The one-night stands and the Tinder terrors will also be life-defining experiences.

A few years ago, I looked to people in their 20s in awe. Now as a 20-something year old myself, I am learning that many, me included, put on a facade to appear as though they've got their life together when in reality they haven't. I'm also learning that that's okay, we don't have to have to have it all figured out yet. Or ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment